ISPA Conference Boasts Record Attendance
The 14th annual International Spa Association (ISPA) Conference and Expo held at the Venetian Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nov. 8-11, 2004, was a great success. With over 3,000 registered attendees, this year's conference was ISPA's largest since its inception.
Registration opened early on Sunday, Nov. 7, and lasted into the evening, but the conference officially kicked off on Monday morning with the first of four "Greet the Day" fitness and wellness sessions that marked the start of each day's activities for the duration of the conference.
In addition to a wide variety of professional development sessions and an exhibit hall that featured hundreds of vendors, other conference highlights included extraordinary keynote speakers, complementary spa treatments for attendees, a networking room, daily gourmet lunches, evening receptions and open house spa tours.
During the general session on day two, IPSA Chairman of the Board Jeff Kohl presented an overview of the results from ISPA's 2004 Spa Industry Study and 2004 Consumer Trends Report, both of which are available from ISPA. Notable results from the Spa Industry Study include the following:
- The number of spas grew from 2002. Currently, there are approximately 12,100 spas throughout the U.S. and 2,100 in Canada, for an average annual growth rate of 12 percent.
- The U.S. spa industry generated an estimated $11.2 billion in revenues in 2003, with approximately half (52 percent) of a spa's revenue generated from treatment rooms.
- Two-thirds of spas offer specialized packages targeting men, teens and families.
- Revenues generated from spas have exceeded revenues generated from amusement parks.
Highlights from the Consumer Trends Report found that:
- Men are showing more interest in facials and manicures;
- Consumers want series pricing;
- Spa goers prefer gender-neutral interior designs; and
- First-time spa goers have higher expectations.
ISPA's membership is comprised of approximately 2,000 health and wellness facilities and providers from 66 countries. For more information on ISPA and future conferences, visit www.experienceispa.com.